UV LED FAQ
- Is UV LED harmless to humans?
- What is the feature of our UV LED?
- What is UV LED used for?
- Is UV LED also used for lighting?
- Is there any correlation between wavelength and application?
- How much is UV LED?
- How to purchase or payment?
- How long is UV LED's life time?
- What is the difference between CAN type and resin mold type?
- What kinds of resin mold type dose Nitride have?
- What is the main cause of UV LED's deterioration?
- What is handling instructions?
- Is there any product except one listed on website?
For further information, please contact us.
- 1. Is UV LED harmless to humans?
As you can see the skin sunburns by ultraviolet radiation, it possesses considerable energy.
The strong UV enable antisepticise. But our UV LED has no affect on the human body. Because the wavelength of our UV LED is around 370nm.
Plant dose not die from the continuous irradiation of our UV LED from the experiment in company. But do not look directly into UV light. UV LED might harm your eyes by the direct sight of UV light for long time.
- 2. What is the feature of our UV LED?
The wavelength of our UV LED is from 355nm to 375nm which are shortest as mass production in the world. High technology is required to produce under 375nm UV LED.
Our UV LED contains few visible radiations. Therefore, it is used for sensing. And our UV LED are made demarcations according to rank by its optical output power. In addition, we provide them after total inspection. Customer will be able to use our UV LED without any waste.
- 3. What is UV LED used for?
- UV LED is now used for the light source of bank note counting, resin curing and photocatalytic air cleaner. UV LED is used for other various light sources as sensing element.
- 4. Is UV LED also used for lighting?
White LED used for backlight of mobile-phone now is made by the combination of blue LED and yellow phosphor. Currently, the combination of UV LED and RGB phosphor is widely watched in the world.
It is expected that UV LED is used for the varying kinds of lighting in the near future.
- 5. Is there any correlation between wavelength and application?
- Five kinds of wavelength - 355nm, 360nm, 365nm, 370nm, 375nm are available now. We have some information which wavelength is suitable for any applications. But we recommend that you would try actually a few kinds of wavelength. Even if you have a data which 365nm is best, 375nm of higher power may be better than 365nm.
- 6. How much is UV LED?
The price of our UV LED depends on its wavelength and quantity. In addition, our UV LED die and CAN packaged UV LED are made demarcations according to rank by those optical output power. And the price also depends on such rank. The wavelength is shorter and optical output power is higher, the price is higher.
To get a rough idea, the price of resin mold LED (NSxxxL-5RLO) is JPY100 - JPY130 at 100,000pcs.
We will do the best to fulfill your demand as much as possible. Please feel free to contact us for future information.
- 7. How to purchase or payment?
You could purchase our UV LED from us directly or through a distributor near you.
Our UV LED is basically shipped out here after receipt of your payment.
- 8.How long is UV LED's life time?
As you know, LED's life time is so long compared with UV lamp. Our UV LED work more than 10,000 hours under the conditions of IF=20mA and thermoneutral environment. We guarantee that the life time of packed UV LED is 1,000 hours. But actual life time of it is more than 10,000 hours. "Life time" we guarantee means to keep more than 70% of its performance from its initial value. You can use UV LED for longer time by pulse circuit.
However, it is required special care when using resin mold packaged LED. Because it is susceptible to damage by humidity.
- 9. What is the difference between CAN type and resin mold type?
- CAN type have TO-18 stem and glass lens. There are narrow-angle ball lens and wide-angle flat lens. CAN type is better for the application required high reliability like sensing. Because it has long life time than resin mold type. Resin mold type uses the UV resistant special resin and provides high- power output and superior cost performance. It is required the special care for the humidity as the characteristic of resin. Please select the best one to meet your needs or application among the wide ranging lineup.
- 10. What kinds of resin mold type dose Nitride have?
Resin mold type has four kinds of direction characteristic(directivity angle) ; 5RLO(15°), 5RLM(30°), 5RFS(100°).
Those shape and size(5 φ) are the same except 5RFS(100°) which is flat shape. The direction characteristic is smaller, the irradiated area is more narrow and the illumination intensity (mW/cm2) is higher. In addition, we have also NSxxxL-3RLQ(3φ,30°) which output power is the similar or higher with 5φ.
Therefore, it is required to take a full protection against static and surge.
- 11. What is the main cause of UV LED's deterioration?
The deterioration of not only UV LED but all LED is mainly caused by the heat. The luminous efficacy of general LED is less than 30% and more than 70% of input power becomes the heat. The heat is released to the outside through the stem which LED die is mounted on, lens or resin.
UV LED die itself deteriorates little with age. But the interface of resin changes in quality or becomes clouded by the heat of die when working. The resin also shows the degradation by UV ray. Meanwhile CAN type which has TO-18 stem and glass lens have no damage by the UV ray.
It is possible to have longer life time by pulse drive or enough heat radiation with either type.
- 12. What is handling instructions?
Crystal of UV LED is layered on the sappier substrate. It susceptible to damage by static or surge because the sappier substrate is insulant. Therefore, a zener diode is built in the protective circuit against static electricity. (Forward or backward direction : more than 3000V with HBM, Compliance with EIAJ ED-4701/300)
Take a full preparation like wristband, antistatic glove and so on for static when handling of chip (die). Please also conduct surge measures of all equipment.
- 13. Is there any product except one listed on website?
- We are also able to produce longer wavelength UV LED (380nm - 400nm). Please feel free to contact us if you have any inquiry.
- Contact Information
- Nitride Semiconductors Co.,Ltd.
- 115-7 Itayashima, Akinokami, Seto-cho, Naruto-shi,
- Tokushima 771-0360 Japan
- TEL (+82)88-683-7750
- FAX (+82)88-683-7751